PSDFan Extra

Superb Collection of Digital Paintings Capturing Classical Horror Icons

After just about everyone discussing the Twilight New Moon movie lately, it got me thinking about the vampire as a classic horror icon. From there, two other horror icons sprung to mind – the werewolf, and frankensteins monster. For whatever reason these three ‘creatures’ have been a part of our culture for centuries. Part of what lets them endure is undoubtably their image. Artistically these icons have something incredibly intriguing about them. Perhaps for this reason many artists attempt to construct their own concepts of these creatures. Unfortunately many such works simply don’t give their origin credit. However, after some considerable research I was able to find a collection of digital paintings that offered something a little extra. All of these works seem to really get the the heart of the horror legend that they depict. Enjoy!

Vampires

Vampires are mythological or folkloric beings who subsist by feeding on the life essence (generally in the form of blood) of living creatures regardless of them being undead or a living person. In folkloric tales, vampires often visited loved ones and caused mischief or deaths in the neighbourhoods they inhabited when they were alive.

Werewolfs

A werewolf is a mythological or folkloric human with the ability to shapeshift into a wolf or an anthropomorphic wolf-like creature, either purposely, by being bitten or scratched by another werewolf, or after being placed under a curse.

Frankenstein’s Monster

Frankenstein’s monster is a character that first appeared in Mary Shelley’s novel, Frankenstein, or The Modern Prometheus. In the novel, the creature has no name—a symbol of his parentlessness and lack of human sense of self and identity.

About the Author:

Tom is the founder of PSDFAN. He loves writing tutorials, learning more about design and interacting with the community. On a more interesting note he can also play guitar hero drunk with his teeth.

9 Comments:

1. Tony says:

Beautiful collection of digital paintings…love them all!

2. Abi says:

Wow man they are awesome paintings! Ask your permission to take the soldier holding M16 painting to be my desktop wallpaper

3. Ahsan Altaf says:

The fourth vampire reminds me of Julia Roberts or is it just me . Nice collection though .

4. marick says:

love it! they are wonderfull

5. Oliver Web says:

Awesome collection of digital paintings. I really like all the werewolf ones. Thanks for sharing this collection.

6. Simon says:

Great collection. I love the three at the bottom of the section of werewolves. His Deviantart page is defiantly worth checking out!

7. Vim says:

Wicked collection, The vampire images are great. Tom what inspired this theme for the blog, was it because of Twilight – New Moon.

8. Tom says:

Abi: I’m afraid you’ll have to check out the license by clicking on the link to the original image. From what I can see I can’t see a problem in using the image for your desktop wallpaper though.

Ahsan Altaf: I’m not seeing it I’m afraid lol. It’s a really nice piece though.

Simon: Yeah his DeviantArt page has some truly impressive work!

Vim: Hey! Yeah, I mentioned the new Twilight film at the start of the post. A lot of my friends had talked about seeing the movie and so it just got me thinking. I hope you enjoyed the post :) .

9. Yiikes!!!! This is a creepy collection….I would never want to face any of the above creatures on a dark night…..LOL!! Great graphic designing….Unlike other such images these are a little bright, which is good…. For ages these creatures have been associated with the dark and now they have come to light only to portray the talents of the graphic designers….Ahmad Rubat’s vampire sends a chill down my spine…Thanks for sharing this post….